Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Ho hum, Hobbits hanging on.

It's that time of year again - I get the old LOTR-longing. Don't quite know what to make of it - delaying the 12-hour-20-minute continuous viewing of the extended edition DVDs for the post-exam haze. Still, the soundtrack playing in the background is enough to make me wish I was 'back' in Middle-Earth. Crazy nutter.

Aeschylus (yes, I think he's the one who was killed by a falling tortoise dropped by an eagle mistaking his bald head for a stone) once said:
"There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief."
At least that's what the (hopefully reliable, woefully 'unhopeful') website claims.
I have practically nothing to complain about, realistically - I'm well provided for (at least I think so), I have a loving family (at least I remember), good friends (at least I believe so), a roof over my head and an expensive education.
What happy memories can I conjure up? I know that I confabulate a lot - but there's no need for that now. In reverse chronological order:

1) Hitchhiking last summer - enjoying the journey as much as the destination. Utter peace in the hubbub; taking everything in moderate excess.
2) Lazing about on the porch of my uncle's house in Ipoh, Malaysia last summer as tropical winds blew in a monsoon to cool the scorching heat.
3) Watching the calm waves break on the beach of a Maldivian island on my 18th birthday. Bliss.
The list goes on. So much to be grateful for. Why would one want more? Simply because there is more to be had? I don't really know, to be honest. Thankfully one doesn't forget that oh-so-very-important-emotional-modulator:
"This too, shall pass."
I have dallied long enough and time (like that ocean tide I find such bliss in recalling) is passing me by...

No comments: