Monday, March 14, 2005

Eat to live, live to eat!

Great book - 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson - I'm rather desperate to read it; credit to James...something to do immediately after exams, I suppose.

I've been having intense food cravings this March.
Wednesday 2nd March: Biryani and curry. Hot. It's got some ethereal quality to it...when the first hint of spice nips the tip of your tongue.
Friday 4th March: Sushi and sashimi. Buffet-style; sheer quantity but probably quality-compromised; I purchased my own sauce to compensate for their lowly offering. Mmmmm......
Saturday 5th March: Tofu and roast duck; conveniently satiated by a friend's birthday dinner the following week.
Saturday 12th March: A salt beef sandwich for which I travelled all the way to Edgware (zone 5). Absolutely splendid - B&K salt beef bar. Wonderful. The potato latke was heavenly.
Sunday 13th March, evening-right now: Spaghetti bolognese. I used to think of myself as more of an aglio olio man, but this is one heck of a craving. Just about to cook myself some.
Had a terrific 'fusion style' (student standard) dinner last night - heated the remnants of some of my mother's delicious chicken curry; boiled some pasta, made a vegetable-onion-whatsit soup and experimented with a beaten egg poured into a whole (covered with the cut-off 'lid') green pepper - baked at 200 degrees in the oven...turned out rather nice.

So there you have it...the cycle of 'weekend cravings.'
I don't typically write about food, but then again - I'm Chinese and my 'cultural heritage' (whatever that happens to be) demands a heavy emphasis on what I shovel down my gullet...
I really need to get a life. This year has been rather tumultuous (in some respects). It's quite a balancing act, trying to peer into the future as you relegate the nasties of today to the dustbin of the past, especially when you're as much of a hoarder as I am. Then there are memories...

Peter Jackson might make 'The Hobbit' film eventually...I wonder what hapened to my insane obsession over the Lord of the Rings - I've been keeping the extended edition trilogy DVD for post-exam bliss...perhaps that'll reignite the passion I once felt so strongly. Especially when I re-read the Silmarillion...oh dear...I really do need to get a life. Actually - that's ridiculous - I am what I am - why should I bend to society's prevailing ideas of 'life'? I'm no hermit (well...) and if I can't be accepted for who I am, then I might as well go and have myself shot. Never - never ever ever - be afraid to be who you are. Don't be arrogant (i.e. humility is ideal) but just don't be afraid to be yourself. I'm not talking about method-acting; simply about honesty. More on that next time, if I'm not too absent minded and actually bother to remember!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woo I love food posts! Despite my arrogance, I still enjoyed your descriptions very much. Keep it up Jason, keep cooking, keep eating! Yummy chocolates huh?

Hugh