Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Draining a Mental Abscess

What do you do when a part of your soul is locked away, walled off to fester in the deepest recesses of your mind?
Life could be worse. It could be better. I cast a cursory glance over my blog entries and wonder whether visitors to this site come because they like knowing that there is some fool out there who registers slightly higher on the insanity scale than they do. Perhaps it is of some cool comfort to you that you can mock my trivial raves about my insignificant pains. Indeed, you may enjoy this as a silly comic monologue that fills the channels of the Internet with yet more junk that just happens to be slightly more presumptuous than it deems itself to be. I know this perpetual self analysis leads nowhere. I'm playing it out to see where I'll be led by my own wandering thoughts. Our minds meander - at least mine does. Tomorrow will be a new day, a red sunrise will (if unobscured by grey clouds) herald bouts of rainy English weather, further dampening (and perhaps diluting) one's already sodden spirits. Ponder for a while whether it's all worth the daily grind - what lies ahead? Perhaps you've reached the conclusion that nothing is worth the effort that is needlessly spent to sustain it. We're all reeling into the depths of a foggy, mist-shrouded moorland tomb that will gladly swallow us whole to feed yet another cycle of ignorant life. If I sound like a mad killjoy, or better still a proponent of existential nihilism (if you'd do me the honours!), then perhaps I'm misunderstood. I'm merely a (rather lost) confused person driven to the brink by his own self-conversations which he (self-voyeuristically) chooses to publish online. Read more: http://www.iep.utm.edu/n/nihilism.htm. They have a fabulous quote pinched from Shakespeare's Macbeth:

Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

I'm that idiot. Worse still, you're my audience. Sincerity has no friends but tells no lies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Empty pretences,
Though signifying nothing,
Display inner truth

Drunken OK. Oi.