Friday, November 19, 2004

Borborygmi and Brain-melt

Today I shall pontificate. Yep. As the sun doth shine (albeit for a precious few hours this season), the birds do tweet (providing the cold hasn't killed off those too weak to migrate to Africa) and the fulsome wholeness of my ego rumbles on like a juggernaut over the crumpled husks of yesterday's dissenters.....indeed, it's time for some cathartic rubbish-spouting.
By the way, please excuse the pretentious tone - it comes naturally with the borborygmi - I'm insatiably hungry...I guarantee, I shall digress...

I'm a little short on inspiration at the moment, but there is one thing that's been nagging at me for quite some time. Simply put: Intention. Most actions in life are simple reflections of highly developed reflexes:

"Good morning, neighbour! Isn't the weather lovely? How's your aunt Winnie?"
"Sod off, you old git! It's pouring bucketloads of industrial acidic effluent, her name's Wilhelmina, and I'll never forgive you for painting your side of the fence bright orange with sky-blue hex-symbols! Get thee hence, minion of Hecate!"

Regardless, 'original' ideas and not-quite-spontaneous reactions somehow manage to percolate through those dense layers of cerebral cortex every now and then.
'Perhaps I should help that person in trouble over there'. It's not quite instinctive - one might be in a rush for lectures or thinking about how amidst all the pain and suffering in the world it's wonderful to be able to procrasatinate and type yet another mindless blog entry. Whatever the case, that split-second processing sometimes triggers another thought: that self-satisfied feeling of having done a good turn to a fellow member of humanity struggling to keep running on this spinning celestial orb. Is that feeling justified? What about the momentary need to make a decision? Surely true selflessness would (rather un-streetwise-ly) offer a helping hand without pausing to size up the situation. Does the sense of 'kudos' negate any intangible benefit there might otherwise have been, instead replacing it with a little speck of pride - selfish pride - at having flexed one's own superiority in a minuscule by assisting another person?
Certainly, you could blandly claim some kind of 'what goes around, comes around' idea, but that kind of prognostication brings little satisfaction to anyone's life. Indeed, to make my point - this discussion itself could trigger all sorts of thoughts in a reader's mind:
confusion/dismay/utter disbelief at my trivial discourse on a matter of no real cosmic significance/etc.
My brain has baked itself into a molten mush and I'm feeling tired. The week has been long and I shudder to think of what lies ahead. Roll on tomorrow!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're blowing my mind Jason, what are you talking about?

Hugh

JH said...

I wish I knew...I really wish I knew.