Monday, June 28, 2004

Tempus fugit

The driver sped away from the gates as the heat died with the afternoon sun. Dark clouds gathered over the craggy limestone peaks ahead as the motorway snaked between rows of plantation palms. A strange ray pierced through as thunder rolled with the onslaught of a summer storm.

An hour before, the scene that followed us to the airport raged in my mind, fired my heart and battled my senses. After dozens of telephone calls and an endlessly postponed wait I knew. I finally knew. I knew - at last.

We waved silently to the five figures standing on the porch, fading into the distance. I held my moment of quiet, a solemn whisper of relief barely breaking the calm around me.

I write not for the present, but for posterity. I live not for the here and now, but for the future. I gaze not into the future, but into the vast expanse of eternity, so that the accomplishments and disappointments of today mellow with the thread of time that weaves a full and blessed life.

No comments: