Saturday, June 26, 2004

Credo

Life is many things to different people. To some it is the string of events that fall in sequence to make up our existence. Some cling to it daily, fearing its end; others seek thrills and adventure. A few spend some of it trying vainly to ponder its meaning, realising too late that the wherewithal from which we drain away each passing minute depends merely on our own insecurities which fuel that strange desire to place a reasonable price on our existence.

I shall not trouble myself to conjure up support clauses for the vague predications made above, depending solely on my arrogant self-belief in the knowledge that any argument over whether I am right or not should merely serve to confirm my basic premise in (more-or-less) its entirety, given that the given is taken as given. Sick, wrong and true - an odd combination for a conclusion, but a conclusion nonetheless.

My line is different. I hold quite dearly to a truth that, betwixt its mellifluously and seemingly non-sensical phrases, seems to rationalise most of my behaviour:

"Know you are mortal; Believe that you are not."
(C) JH, MMIV

NB Knowing = understanding, 'Believing' is used in a more superficial sense.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That credo seems to be the direct opposite of the main moral of "Tuesdays with Morrie".

OK