Sunday, July 24, 2005

Free Chilli Crab

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/4711189.stm
The Great British public has finally woken up. Yesterday's shooting of a completely innocent man is a tragedy; the fact that it had to happen is even more of a tragedy.
Yes, I know it's not a representative sample but anyway - judging from the majority of (fairly understanding) comments on the BBC website, more and more people seem to finally understand the meaning of the word 'sacrifice.' 'Freedom' has fewer letters (yeah, it's easier to spell) but it's not going to buy you safety when some nutcase decides to detonate his homemade explosives next to you on the underground. It'll be too late to wish for a fist of steel in a leather glove (the heavy hand of the law) when PC tolerance permits a frothing psychopath with explosives tied to his waist to hijack your bus and ram it into the Bank of England. Sure, the London Met have been branded 'trigger-happy' but they're just doing their jobs...

Here's something ripped entirely out of context:
"Tolerance is not the same as acceptance. It is actually closer to the opposite: tolerance like this is a clever means of repression."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4700779.stm

So, I'm making all these insensitive, rather right-wing comments... just remember - I hold a passport of a staunchly Muslim country. Blah, blah, blah - no, no, no - that doesn't give me any cred at all, does it? A bit like saying "Oh, I've got lots of Chinese friends" just before you tell a joke about slitty-eyed Chinamen (I'm Chinese too, by the way - but I guess that doesn't count for jack as I'm a disgrace to my own race by being completely incapable of speaking Mandarin properly)... anyway - so I don't have any cred...just like all the customs and immigration nonsense I'm going to have to put up with once Messrs Blair and Bush decide to 'get tougher' on all those 'towelheads' whose passports bear the star and crescent. Grrrrrreat news, Jason.

On a more cheerful note - under the auspices of the Singapore Tourism Board I get to claim a FREE chilli crab (Singapore's self-declared national dish). FREE to all 'visitors' for the month of July. Hurrah.
Oh yes - Richard's getting married. In October. To some girl. In Australia. She's rich. Congrats to him. Dammit dammit dammit - I knew I should have studied dentistry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey jason! whats up

long time no communication!! just wondered here randomly so i thought i'd just say hi.

hi!

chris